Morning Routine - From Bleary to Focused in 20 mins!
Top tips to set you up for a day of high performance, productivity, focus and flow.
‘If you win the morning. you win the day’
Establish a morning routine that sets yourself up for positive momentum and fewer distractions through the rest of your day.
Some of these tips may seem weird or strange. BUT they are powerful practices that build up your resilience, appreciation, capacity for joy, awe and good things in your life. These are all the elements to nurture your body, mind and spirit BEFORE you dive into emails and other people’s demands on you.
And yes, keep your phone out of your bedroom :)
From Waking Up to Focused in 20 mins!
1. Start with your breath. Become aware of your breathing and focus your attention here. You’re alive. You’re breathing. You’re here. Be present. You can place your hand on your heart as you start to wake up.
2. Move to gratitude. As soon as you become more conscious turn to gratitude. What are you thankful for today? Your sleep, your bed, your duvet, the fresh air, the safety of your night, your loved ones, the opportunities of the day ahead …
3. Get up and make your bed. Yes this is a weird one but powerful. If nothing else goes your way today. If your day is incomplete, messy, irrational, frustrating. At least you’ll come back to a made bed. Make it neat, make it beautiful.
4. Move your body. Do yoga stretches, 5 minute workouts, running up and down the stairs to get your body warmed up and your heart rate up. Go for a run, a jog, a brisk walk, a swim, if you have longer. Use music to change your state.
6. Get into nature. Breathe the air. Find something beautiful to focus on. This is still possible in an urban landscape (find a tree in the distance, keep flowers or houseplants).
7. Set an intention for your day. How do you want to FEEL today, how do you want to BE today how do you want to show up?
8. Drink hot water. Put good things into your body – be selective about your breakfast!
9. Look ahead to your schedule for the day and decide what’s the most important thing to accomplish in your day. Decide when you will do this most important thing and schedule it in your diary for the day.
11. Connect with your people. Partner, kids, team, neighbours. Hug, touch, talk, squeeze, Facetime….
12. Connect with the wider world. News, emails, what’s apps, all the things.
Now Go and DO your most important thing.
Create a morning routine that works for you and your lifestyle. Experiment with these suggestions. Keep it simple. Play around with the order to suit you, it’s not rigid.
Katy writes ‘Sometimes I add a time of prayer or meditation. I make hot lemon and drink it through these various stages. Most days I add some affirmations that I will say to myself. Sometimes I journal my gratitude, my intentions and my most important things.’
The key is to do this regularly and consistently. Notice what starts to change and shift for you.
A note about journaling:
Journaling is a powerful practice of writing down your thoughts so that they’re out of your head!
Feel free to use journaling as part of your morning routine.
Use these journaling prompts:
· What am I appreciating today? What am I thankful for?
· What is my intention today – how do I want to feel? How do I want to show up?
· What is the most important thing for me to do today? What is going to enable me to move closer to my goals?
· What is my affirmation for today?
Like these tips?
This Wisdom Guide is part of our current professional and personal development series for working women covering #happiness #overwhelm #getmoredone #feelspacious. You can find our tips for creating more happiness in your life HERE and how to beat overwhelm HERE
Want to go deeper?
Join us for practical strategies each month in our How To webinars. Just 60 minutes a month to experience significant transformation in your life! You can join us HERE.